2010年9月24日金曜日

"Pambassador" Day 2 in Chengdu

Today was a great day, having been able to see
so many Pandas in one day!
This morning, we all gathered at the hotel lobby at 7:30.
Left hotel and headed to Chengdu Panda Base!!!!!

Last night, it took me about an hour and a half just updating my blogs,
and therefore I only had 2 hours sleep, I skipped breakfast this morning,
and was starving to death until lunch time.

Things we did today.

1. Orientation

Introduction of the primary responsibilities, basic knowledge and safety rules
when entering the Panda enclosures. Brief introduction of Pandas.

The Chengdu Panda Base was established 1987 for the means of
conservation, education, and research. We learned that at that time,
they had many difficult issues that they had to solve, such as nature mating
and artificial insemination, disease prevention, genetic research,
nutrition research, and so on. In the past few years,
with all the hard work and experience, the Panda Base has made
a great success on breeding and raising Pandas,
with all the effort from the staffs who work for this facility.

2. Welcome ceremony in front of the Chinese media.

Short speech from 12 Pambassadors in front of cameras!!
Susan, one of the staff did a great job in translating English
into Chinese for the media, it was her first time to have such a hard task
 in such short notice, but she just did great!!

3. Had lunch with host families.

I was starving, and enjoyed the meal.
However, it made me so sleepy after lunch… took a short nap
and prepared for the activities that were planned for the afternoon.

4. Search for Giant Pandas!!

We had a brief lecture on how to distinguish each
Pandas from another, such as their behaviors and appearances,
and then went to see the real Pandas to verify each ones we learned about.
I became so emotional when I saw the Pandas that were born in Japan
and came to Chengdu, and I cried!! They seemed to be so healthy and happy!!
It was sad that they didn't recognize me saying out their names in Japanese though....
Jerome, one of my Pambassador friend has been all the way
to Wakayama Adventure World from Belgium,
and he even knows their Japanese names and has many pictures of them!!!
He came by me and took care of me when I just couldn’t get control
of my emotions, thanks Jerome! It was so nice to know that you love
Japanese Pandas, and you care about them so much!!
It was touching, and I really enjoyed talking with you!

隆浜 from Japan!! Born 8th Sep, 2003













秋浜 from Japan!! Looks like Mickey Mouse!! Twin younger brother of 隆浜。


















Children Pandas enjoying their Panda milk!













And I also had another exciting experience today. I finally met Ms. Abe,
the only Japanese who work for the Chengdu Panda Base.
She has given me so much influence through Japanese documentary TV programs,
and I had always wanted to meet her!

Ms. Abe who works for Chengdu Panda Base.













Children Pandas being fed with apples and Panda Cakes!



5. Brief lecture on research and conservation at the Panda Base.

Learned about nature mating problems and the solution, and pseudo pregnancy.

Time flies so quickly, and there are so many things we should learn
in order to save the Pandas. This cannot be achieved in one day,
and I hope we will experience more and more to share with our
friends and people around the world. The reality is not always on the bright side,
but to see so many people being involved with the conservation of Pandas,
I hope the problems will be saved one day in the near future.

Pambassador Yumiko Kajiwara