2010年12月2日木曜日

Education for Highschool Students

Hello everyone!

Today, I arrived at the panda base before lunch time,
and 幸浜(XingBang) was already standing up near the door
waiting for panda cakes.


















But the keeper would be coming back from lunch
at 1:30.....it was still 12:30 and he got fed up,
turned his back, and acted like a child.
 
And so he decided to eat bamboo under his bed.



















This is 秋浜(QiuBang) in his outdoor playground.


















The window outside was broken for a long time,
and the workers repaired it a few days ago.
But then 秋浜(QiuBang) got so excited and
broke the plastic window again. Scratching
and breaking seemed to be a fun game for him!













You can see the broken pieces of window scattered inside.
The workers will have to repair it again, and for that reason
秋浜(QiuBang) will have to stay inside for a few hours.
He loves staying outside and whenever he has to stay inside,
he seems to be so frustrated. But the broken window is
too dangerous. He does it again and again...













When I came back from 秋浜(QiuBang)'s next door enclosure,
幸浜(XingBang) was still standing up in front of the door.
It's not the same picture as the first one!


















In the afternoon, we went to a highschool
to do some presentation according to the
Project Panda and the Chengdu Panda Base to
the young students.
QuJing, Sophie, Miao and I arrived at
the highschool at 2:40


















They even had a welcome poster in the entrance!













The teacher did a brief introduction about us,
and QuJing who works for the Panda Base starts her presentation.
She graduated from this highschool 7 years ago.
She talked about the Project Panda, and basic information
about Pandas. It is amazing that so many young students
know really well about Pandas! Most students have seen
Pandas before, which is not usual in other countries,
and about 1/3 of the students have even been to the Panda Base.













And I started my presentation after QuJing.
Everyone were interested in Pandas so much,
and they raise their hands and speak proudly
about what they know about Pandas.













I didn't expect there would be so many students, but they
were friendly and great all the way through.
I talked about the basic information about the Project Panda,
and some of them told me that they have seen us on TV and
newspapers. HAHA.
I also shared my experience of taking care of Pandas,
the Panda Valley at DuJianYan, and about our visit in
the wild Panda habitat LongXi HongKou National Natural Reserve.
I wanted the young students to understand that everything is linked,
and if we do something to harm the environment,
Panda habitats will disappear and it would give a big impact
to the planet. It was a good opportunity for me to
see young students, and to know what they think and feel
about the environment.

They seemed to like the picture of 幸浜(XingBang) and
秋浜(QiuBang) sticking their nose out of the bars, and the picture
of Panda feces.I wish I could bring some Panda feces to show them!













Sophie did the translation for me, and she was great as usual.
Thank you Sophie!!













We took some pictures with the students after the presentation.














The teacher gave me a lovely tiger toy!
It was the first time for me to have something apart from
Pandas! Oh and did I mention that the hoodie I am wearing
is a gift from the Panda Base? It has my Panda's name
"幸浜" on the front, and "Pambassador Yumiko Kajiwara" on the back.
I wear this whenever I need to go somewhere to
talk about Pandas.













Tomorrow I will visit Ya'an to see the Pandas.

Pambassador Yumiko Kajiwara